These muffins are moist, dense, lightly sweet, and full of classic breakfast ingredients like oats, berries, almonds, honey, and bananas. A combination of home-processed oat flour and almond flour makes them rustic and gluten-free without compromising flavor or texture. Mashed ripe banana adds sweetness and moisture, while the cinnamon and cardamom add an unusual twist. This recipe is like a bowl of oatmeal + toppings transformed into delicious muffins, creating the perfect fast and easy breakfast. Try them slathered with salted butter and/or berry jam! You can store leftover muffins at room temperature for about 5 days or in the freezer for several months.
P.S. – My household went through 2 batches of these in under a week. Consider doubling the recipe if you want enough for breakfasts for the week.
Blueberry Spice Breakfast Muffins
- Muffin tin
- Food processor or blender
- Digital food scale
- 150 g old-fashioned oats sub oat flour if you don’t have a food processor
- 150 g blanched almond flour
- 2 tsp cardamom
- 2 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ripe banana peeled and mashed
- 6 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 160 mL Greek yogurt plain, full-fat
- 3 large eggs preferably free-range
- 150 g fresh or frozen blueberries
- DRY INGREDIENTS: Preheat the oven to 400º F/200º C. Add the oats to a blender or food processor and pulse until they form a coarse flour. Leave some larger oat pieces for texture. In a large bowl, whisk together the oat flour, almond flour, cardamom, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- WET INGREDIENTS: In a separate bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, honey or maple syrup, yogurt, and eggs. Combine the wet and dry ingredients until no lumps remain, then stir in the blueberries.
- BAKE: Butter a muffin tin (or use muffin liners if you prefer) and divide the batter evenly between the cups. Each cup should be mostly full since these won’t rise as much as gluten-containing muffins. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Let cool slightly before enjoying with butter or your choice of toppings.