Let’s be real – whoever first thought of putting peanut butter and noodles together was a genius. They’re probably two of the best things on the planet.
These peanut noodles are SCRUMPTIOUS. I used soba noodles, which are typically made with buckwheat flour, so they have a slightly deeper, nuttier flavor than wheat noodles. I tossed them with roasted broccoli and red cabbage, spicy shrimp, fresh scallions, and a peanut sauce made with crunchy peanut butter, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
Once you take the first bite, you won’t want to stop eating this. In each bite you get crisp roasted veggies, tender cooked shrimp, crunchy scallions, soft noodles, and the sweet and salty tang of the peanut sauce. It’s a beautiful combination that I can guarantee you’ll enjoy, and it’s a perfect dish to add to your dinner rotation.
Sesame Peanut Soba Noodles
- 2 medium heads broccoli cut into florets
- ¼ head red cabbage very thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Avocado oil for roasting
- A pinch of red chili flakes
- ¾ inch fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 ½ lbs large uncooked shrimp about 45 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 oz soba noodles
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp natural peanut butter just peanuts and salt
- 3 tbsp soy sauce not low sodium
- 3 tbsp honey
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 ½ tbsp sesame oil plus more for sautéing
- Scallions for garnish
- VEGGIES: Preheat the oven to 425º F. Add the broccoli and cabbage to separate baking sheets, toss with avocado oil, salt, and pepper to taste, and roast for about 20 minutes, stirring halfway through, until crispy.
- SHRIMP: Pat the shrimp dry with a clean kitchen towel. Heat a dash of sesame oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes and cook for one minute, until aromatic. Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until the shrimp are pinkish and opaque. Remove from heat.
- NOODLES: Cook the noodles according to the package instructions, then drain and rinse thoroughly. Add to a large mixing bowl or saucepan along with the cooked veggies and shrimp.
- PEANUT SAUCE: Whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, lemon juice, water, and sesame oil until thin and smooth. Coat the noodles and toss to combine.
- SCALLIONS: Use kitchen scissors to cut thin slices of scallion over the noodles. Toss gently to combine and serve right away.